Wednesday, June 20, 2012

God And the Angels, or, It's Not As Easy As You Think

Place: Heaven, during the Creation, but before the creation of humans.

God, seated at large desk, surrounded by a group of chairs in which one is seated an angel.

God: They would be like me, in my image, but they would need to love me. They would need to love the earth, and, in order to prosper, love each other. But that would have to be their choice.

Angel: What do you mean, their choice?

God: They would have the ability to choose death, that is, evil, the curse -- you know what I mean-- or the desire to love and live by love. I will put both before them and in their hearts they must choose one or the other.

Angel: If they choose evil?

God: Then they will die.

Angel: And if they do not love each other, or the earth?

God: Death, again.

Angel: And if they love you? And choose to live by love?

God: Life. Joy unbounded. Freedom from sin and fear of death.

Angel: What am I missing?

God:  Behold. . . the power of the flesh, of greed and of lasciviousness. (God waves his hand and fills the Angel with lustful desires.)

Angel:  Oh, my. Oh, no. This is. . . astonishing. God, you are all-powerful. (he pauses). Give me great things. Give me power that you have! Give it to me!

Another Angel: Cheeseburgers!!! Cheeseburgers loaded with grease and ketchup and onions!! Give it to me NOW!!!

Another Angel (jumping on female angel): Hold still, I must do this! Hold still!!!

God: What did I say?

Angel: What? Never mind, give it to me! God, please. I have been your servant, I deserve a little bit of power! Food! Women! Jewels! Women!!

God: Enough!   (waves his hand)

Angel: Gaaaaaaaaaa! (passes out briefly) What? What? How? Dear Lord, forgive me. I . . . I wanted to kill you if you didn't give me what I wished.

God: I know.

Angel: And this is what you wish to give to humans? They will surely destroy each other and turn from you as quickly as the sun rises. .

God: Or, they will love me forever.

Angel: Lord, God, do not do this.  Do not create these "humans."  The earth is good as it is.  You said so yourself!  What do we need with "humans"?


God: We need them to love us. For the Universe to be complete.  Be gone!

BLACKOUT.

 Scene two: Same, but crowded with angels arguing over the creation of humans.

Angel 1: They may become great. Achieve great things, things of beauty and of love.

Angel 2: They may create beautiful things on the earth: gardens, fountains, fields of flowers! They will bring joy and love to the Universe!

Angel 3: Fools! They will destroy each other and the earth at the same time.

Angel 4: Surely, this will be a disaster! Humans roaming the earth with free will! You may as well start over and create a different Universe!

Angel 5: Nonsense! They will praise God and us, they will sing hymns, and dance, they will create instruments of music and create such beauty as we cannot imagine!

Angel 6: Yes, and destroy themselves at the same time.   And what of the earth? What will they do with the earth?  Will they know its beauty?  Its provision?  

God enters, 

God: It is done. I have created humans.

Angels: Let us pray.  

The Angels form a circle, bow their heads and pray, silently.  




No comments:

Post a Comment