Thursday, February 28, 2013

CONFIRMATION, PLEASE!!!

I called the cable company on Friday.    I had to make an appointment for a technician to come to my house to address the problem I was having.    He or she was scheduled to come on Tuesday from 4 to 6 pm.    No problem.   I could wait.

But by Sunday, I had received at least a dozen "confirmation" calls, automated calls, asking me if I wanted to keep the appointment and reminding me who had to be there.   By evening, I as shaking in anticipation of the next "confirmation," call.   Didn't the first twelve confirmations count for anything?   Did they think they were going to catch me in a lie?    "Yes, I'll be here."   Ha!   Pulled one over on them!  I'm goin' out!   Let them try to get in!   Hilarious!

No.    Why would I do that?

Then, it came.    The thirteenth confirmation call.    I hung up in the middle of it and called the cable company myself.

"Please press 5 for 'Customer Service."
At last, a human.
"Hello, my name is Natalie, how may I help you?"
"Hello, Natalie.  I'm calling because I have an appointment for a technician to come on Tuesday."
"Yes, I can see that on your account.   Would you like to change the appointment?"
"No!   No, no, no.    You see, Natalie, I have only received about three dozen confirmation calls from Time Warner in the past 4 hours, so I was getting a bit concerned.    I would like to confirm that appointment and also ask you if I may have about fifteen more confirmation calls tonight, and about a dozen more tomorrow.   Would that be okay?"

Natalie was cool and at this point fully caught on.

"I'll remove your phone number from the confirmation call list, Mr. Ciolino."

"No!  No!   Please no, I need those confirmation.   I have to have them!   Suppose they don't show up?    Then what?   Can you confirm another confirmation call!   Please!   I can't take the uncertainty!"

Poor Natalie.

No comments:

Post a Comment