Friday, July 18, 2014

The Marigold

I did not smell a marigold this summer.
When I was a boy, marigolds filled my summers.
They were my friends, they were everywhere.
Their scent made my head spin.

I did not smell the lavender this summer.
Lavender was my favorite smell,
when I was a boy.
The scent made me feel safe and full.

I did not hear a robin this year.
None at all.
The robin's call was sweet,
and reminded me of the sweetness of life.

Time is a bully, a rascally demon.
He will play you for the fool,
that you are,  thinking that,
The world is right and you right, in it.

I know better, now, though.
The churning years have taught me.
And the great message of Time,
Rings in my ears.

My world has disappeared,
And I am no longer right with it.
The lost marigolds and lavender
proves that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment