Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Return to Toyland

Toyland.   Yes, well, Toyland of Hollywood, that is, specifically the film starring Laurel and Hardy, made in the 1930's, often called, "The March Of the Wooden Soldiers," or, simply, "Babes In Toyland," based loosely on the operetta by Victor Herbert.   That Toyland.

F-- and I viewed the film after many years, and being in the mood to be silly embarked on a writing exercise to test just how immature we could be.   But, from time to time there were moments of unexpected joy, sadness, poignancy, and some (very little) good writing.

The Toyland "saga" begins with what I thought would be the only entry into the form: "Bo-Beep Days" -- oh, but what a joy it was to write it.   I will present the opening Prologue to the stories, spoken by Jo-Jo the Piper's Son, and the Postlude, which takes place after many adventures, adventures ranging from the ridiculous to the sublime, taking us places we could not have imagined moments before pen hit paper.  Some, as I alluded to contained great hilarity, some, silly situations, some great heroism, and some great sadness.  I will give nothing of it here, instead, in subsequent stories emanating from Toyland all based on the Toyland theme came more and more outrageous tales.   I will present two of the most whimsical here.  They involve Toyland long before it became the Toyland of  "Bo-Peep Days," a sort of look into the remote history of Toyland.    It was such glorious fun and I thank my co author F-, sadly passed from the earth, for all his contribution, insight, talent, and love during the writing of these stories.   I will never forget him.

And so, the Prologue to "Bo-Peep Days"



"They call me a rogue, a peasant slave, and a vagabond.  
What can I say, but that they would be right on all counts.  
Life has dealt me a certain hand, shall we say, and I have sought to play it to the best of my ability.   I have sought to harm  no one, to do no evil, and to help others when I could.  
Now, if I have occasionally behaved what you might deem selfishly I offer neither apology nor explanation.  I lie here, on my death bed, ready to go before my Maker in the sincere belief that while I have sinned, I am well certain  that God will forgive me, and if not, I am ready to do penance, according to His will.   He will not ask much of me, as I have neither cheated much, or lied much, and I have done some small measure of good.   And is that not how a man's life should be measured? 


I leave it to you, dear reader, that upon the completion of these memoirs, which you will have read with an open mind and clear heart,  you will judge me simply , as I was, as God Himself made me, a Vagabond who loved life."

***

Postlude to "Bo-Peep Days" 


* * *

And so, Dear Reader, come a long way,
I beg that all I sought to say,
Has made you think a bit, no more,
Of Times long past, of Days of Yore,

And if you can in thought or deed,
Give fond remembrance to our breed,
Do call to mind out Toyland dear,
To give us praise, or shed a tear.

* * * 



 And so, on to the tale of, "LOTHAIR. THE GREAT - A Tale of History."



No comments:

Post a Comment